Borsao, Zarihs

A powerful high-altitude Syrah.

Country of Production: Spain

Region: Campo de Borja

Producer: Bodegas Borsao

Tasting Notes: Intense cherry red colour with ripe aromas of black fruits, blackcurrant pastilles and a hint of coffee and vanilla. The palate has wild blackberries, toasty oak and black pepper notes – all balanced by fresh acidity and a touch of dark chocolate, leaving a warm and gentle mouthfeel of soft but persistent tannins in perfect balance with the alcohol.

Vintage: 2015

Price: £17.00

Syrah was planted over 16 years ago in the foothills of the Moncavo, 600-700m above sea level. The vines take full advantage of their position – limestone soil, sun and the Cierzo wind which blows from the north-west to freshen the grapes. The grapes are macerated for 4 to 5 days and then fermented in stainless steel tanks for 15 to 20 days at a controlled temperature of 22-26°C.

60% remains in stainless steel, whilst the other 40% matures in new American oak for 12 months to moderately tame and add complexity to the wine.

Colour: Red
Style: Still
Blend: 100% Syrah
Oak Treatment: 40% of the blend has been matured in new American oak for 12 months.
ABV: 15%

Bottle Size: 75cl
Closure: Cork
Drink: Enjoy from now until 2025
Organic: Not stated
Biodynamic: Not stated
Suitable for Vegetarians: Yes
Suitable for Vegans: Yes

Food friends…
This intense red perfectly complements duck a la orange! Also, just as delicious with grilled lamb, roasted beef and belly pork.

Perfect for…

  • Evening and weekends
  • Unwinding, relaxing and chilling out
  • Snuggling down and watching the stars

Loved by…

  • Experienced red wine drinkers
  • Shiraz / Syrah enthusiasts
  • Best friends and lovers

Producer Information

The winery was established as a co-operative in 1959 and in 2001, joined with two other co-operative cellars in the Campo de Borja region to become the Bodegas Borsao of today. There are 375 winegrowers working together to bring experience, resources and the means to give Borsao the international recognition and prestige it deserves.

Wine experts say…
“Better-value red wine style in the world. This is a genuine example of wine that punches way above its weight” – David Williams

Awards and special notes

Probably the most awarded Syrah from Spain consistently achieving top 5 status in wine assessments and competitions